Disciplinary Appeal

Case Number: [Office Use Only]

Montana Legislature

Officer Presiding: [Office Use Only]

JOHN TAYLOR

and

KSP
RESPONDENT

**DISCLAIMER: IF POSSIBLE, YOU MUST FIRST APPEAL INTERNALLY WITHIN YOUR DEPARTMENT
YOU MUST BE LISTED AS ACTIVE ON THE MONTANA STATE POLICE  ROSTER PRIOR TO DISCIPLINE (10 Hours a Week) TO PLACE A SENATE APPEAL**

Information 

Trooper's Name: John Taylor

Organisation: KSP
Department: PATROL
Badge Number (If Applicable): 304

Punishment you were given: 10 Demerit Points
Grounds for Appeal (Why should it be overturned):

What occured was: Police chase, accidental head on collision with suspect, other officers told the guy to repair whilst I was rag dolled. He asked for my name rank and badge number which I didn't realise initially, but was trying to figure out whether he would just take off when I hopped out of my car - so one of the other PD members gave him my details and we resumed the chase.

Not only did he get my info a second time from another officer, but this should be overturned because I had already identified myself as an LEO to the individual who reported me just as this situation began. The whole point was that I wasn't identifyable as an LEO, which I definetely was and I had verbally confirmed to him prior in the attached clip.

I think its a bit unfair to hit me with points and to tell me that I'm lucky that I wasn't contract terminated because I didn't directly give my details a second time to the suspect when requested - keep in mind that I had already given it to him once at the start of the pursuit and a different officer had given this to him during the pursuit whilst I was figuiring out what to do.

Back in the day, we had a standard for this which was to ask for someone's details three times. In this instance I wasn't trying to deny him access to my information, as it was given to him initially by me and provided to him by an officer who was closer when it was clear that he wanted the info before resuming the chase.

He already had my face, name and rank - this whole punishment revolved around my failure to identify as an LEO. I am wearing a Patrol uniform, driving a patrol car and had already announced myself by name and rank as a Law enforcement officer minutes prior to him asking me again.

I completely understand why Patrol command has made this decision and I will ensure to stop what I'm doing to provide the information requested in future, I just didn't realise that this would be a huge issue at the time. 

Any evidence to support thishttps://streamable.com/zoiisi

Have you requested reasons for your discipline (if yes, please paste them as a reply to this appeal): Yes, in person, this was completely understood by me and made clear to me, I just don't agree with it.

Do you know the case against you (have you seen the evidence)?: I haven't seen the accusor's POV, I was just told what has been been done.

Do you request the Montana Senate Disciplinary Appeal Committee obtain all evidence help by the government in relation to your case?: Yes.

Please link your original appeal which must have been denied here: 

rsz_vintage-monochrome-soldier-skull-beret_225004-19561.png.5415db20af6ec03e4b46ae22ec94f2e5.png

Di Pinto

• Community Lead

@John Taylor
After reviewing all of the evidence involved in your appeal, I have decided to deny your appeal. 

Although yes you did originally give your name & rank in the clip you provided, you where asked multiple times by the civilian you hit head and swerved into (I've seen the POV from the civilian, you where driving straight and then turned directly into him). After colliding with the civilian, you decide to repair your car and drive multiple times around the suspect while he asked on yelling for your information. 

All you would've had to do in the situation is say "John Taylor, CPL 304" and even if he took off again you wouldn't be in trouble. You received the demerits because when asked, you failed to provide the information, having provided it prior doesn't mean you shouldn't provide it again, there is many people who drive the dodge charger as their vehicle & wear patrol uniforms. 

Archived